Monday, October 17, 2005

50

just like you
just for a moment there
I didn’t think I was going to
make
it

- “picture this,” Charles Bukowski

I’m 50 years old today.

I haven’t done a very good job with the upkeep, but if you know how I treat my cars this will not surprise you.

Mostly I look back and see the mistakes, the now-obvious pattern of similar mistakes that I was apparently unwilling to learn from.

And if it took 50 years to get to that…well, you get the idea.

On the other hand, I live in a house.

I didn’t always think I’d do that. Even as a young man, I never saw a real future for myself and anticipated learning the ropes of the hobo jungle.

I haven’t ruled it out, you know.

Like many people, I wouldn’t mind a do-over.

I should eat better and exercise more. I’m trying to push a more positive attitude to the fore.

I’m grateful for the couple of friends I’ve managed to hold on to.

I’m still a little puzzled as to why the world and I haven’t gotten on better than we have.

What’s up with that?

There’s those couple of books that aren’t really books, which cheers me a little. Maybe some time after I’m gone someone will run into one of them and, if I’m lucky, they’ll read something that makes them laugh.

And I’ll keep pushing the music thing, even though no one’s terribly interested at the moment. That’s all right, actually. I understand it.

My wife has helped me suck a lot more juice out of life that I ever thought I would. I’m very grateful for that.

I’d like to buy a ukulele.

There is a little ways to go yet and the upside is I get to be the crazy old man I always was.

I’m 50 years old today.

Tomorrow, we start again.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, let me be the first, etc.

We got a ukelele a couple of months back. It's fun but one string won't tune properly.

Recommended: http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/

D.

Monday, October 17, 2005 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Count Screwloose said...

Thanks, Cpl. Tigerbomb, sir.

As usual, you are one step ahead of me. And so, the battle is joined and the race is on to see who will be the next George Formby!

I've got my eyes on one of these bad boys:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com

RG

Monday, October 17, 2005 11:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
-Jill (magentalai)

Monday, October 17, 2005 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger Miss Templeton said...

Count: NO!

Is it possible that not only do we share the same month, we share the same DAY!?!

I imagine your birthday party was never interrupted by an earthquake though!

I recommend the ukulele business highly, having posted earlier today about Jake Shimabukuro and George Harrison and their shared enthusiasm for the same.

Monday, October 17, 2005 7:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just passing through.
Good buddy, if this was London England and life was cricket, you'd get a round of applause.
Best crack open a tinny. Or pop a champagne cork.

Monday, October 17, 2005 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Count Screwloose said...

Thanks Jill, Miss T and PC Pete for the good wishes and taking the time to stop by. I appreciate it!

Eeek! Same birthday, Miss T? That's a little scary. Great minds are conceived alike, perhaps.

Never heard of J. Shimabukuro until I read about him on your site and now I can't seem to avoid him on covers of mags, etc. Thanks also for pointing me towards the "fluke." Just the kind of thing I was looking for!

RG

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Half a century.....woah!

Happy belated B-day! You old codger!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home