Tuesday, June 05, 2007

How To Cook Your Own Goose

It was two years ago yesterday that, in an inaugural post entitled Oh Brother!, I wrote the following:

Another wild goose needs chasing.

I wasn’t quite sure what it meant, as I wasn’t quite sure what the purpose of this project was. But I hoped it expressed what I was feeling about this latest endeavor.

To put it another way, here we go again.

And if you’ve stuck with us for any length of time, you know what I mean.

This was to be the latest in a long line of thankless and foolhardy tasks, perhaps the most useless and cosmically disposable of them all.

And, as it turned out, I then proceeded to tell you about many of them.

Stories of the last chance, the lost opportunity, and the least resistance.

It slowly found its way, but I have not been as prolific as I would have liked. Last year, particularly, provided slim pickings for anyone who stumbled in.

Hopefully, though, there were moments that made a visit worthwhile.

I made that first post as a dare to myself, to see if I could do it, to see how far I could go.

A lot of the results were sloppy, but some of them were pleasant surprises, things I’d never have done if I hadn’t posted that initial sigh of undisguised tedium.

For those presents, I am thankful.

After that first post, it was sink-or-swim. I guess what happened is that in writing about sinking, I learned to swim better.

I have learned that everything works better and more efficiently when you exercise it.

And sometimes chasing that goose is the only exercise I get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home