Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Spread Out!

As I was reading a review of a new Three Stooges DVD set, I was reminded of one of those moments I'd loved that I hadn't thought about in years.

I always thought of it as "the Brighto one," but in reality it was actually called Dizzy Doctors (No, it's not the Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard one. That's Men In Black). In this one, the boys set off to sell "Brighto," which they take to be some sort of cleaning agent. When this guess proves to be disasterously wrong (it is, in fact, meant for medicinal purposes), they end up at a hospital where they attempt to sell it from room to room.

Well, the high point for me happens when they manage to gain control of the hospital's PA system and battle for the use of the microphone:

Moe: Hello, everybody! (imitates typical radio announcer) We just brought the moon over the mountain!
Curly: Hello, Ma! Hello, Pa! It wasn't much of a fight. I stood like that! But not for long! [Moe bonks Curly on the head]
Moe: Quiet! [Fruitily] This broadcast comes to you through the courtesy of Brighto! And its six delicious flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Cranberry, Strawberry.
Curly: And Raspberry. [Moe whacks him] Ow! It's still Raspberry! [Moe whacks him again] Ow!
Moe: Now keep quiet or I'll sock you again!
Larry [seeing his opening, he begins to croon]: Are you listenin'? Buh-buh-buh-boo! Buh-buh-buh-boo! Buh-buh... [Now Moe hits him!]

If you believe, as I do, that there's a profound giddiness at the heart of the world, a runaway train of nonsense kickstarting all life into being and endlessly expanding the universe, then a small, concentrated bit of it is inarguably reflected here.

But don't take my word for it...

And don't forget this obvious precursor to R. Kelly's Trapped In The Closet! videos.

(Thanks to Stuart Galbraith and DVD Talk.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home