Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Twirling Towards Freedom!

Resident Bush met with the press yesterday and the transcript, which should frighten anyone who still believes in either honesty or the English language, is available to read here.

He's literally beginning to sound like the alien Clinton or Dole from that Simpsons Halloween show:

“…it's really important that as we take a step back and learn lessons…and my attitude is, is that we need to learn everything we possibly can…we've got to keep moving forward…What I'm interested in is solving problems…There's a lot of information floating around… And it's important for the people of this country to understand that all of us want to learn lessons.”

Got that? Whole lotta lesson learnin' goin' on!

Or on Iraq: Those terrorists still hate our freedom!

"After all, the enemy wants to stop democracy. See, that's what they want to do. They want to kill enough people so that -- in the hopes that democracy won't go forward. They tried that prior to -- more than eight million Iraqis voting. They were unable to stop Iraqis from voting, because people want to be free. Deep in everybody's soul, regardless of your religion or where you live, is a desire to be free. And they can't stop it. And what we're going to do is help -- and they can't stop democracy from moving."

Or try this excerpt, as a reporter tries to play the "blame game," i.e., "ask a question":

Q: Mr. President, there is a belief that we've been hearing for two weeks now on the ground that FEMA let the people here on the ground down. And perhaps, in turn, if you look at the evidence of what it's done to your popularity, FEMA let you down. Do you think that your management style of sort of relying on the advice that you got in this particular scenario let you down? And do you think that plays at all --

THE PRESIDENT: Look, there will be plenty of time to play the blame game. That's what you're trying to do.

Q: No, I'm trying to --

THE PRESIDENT: You're trying to say somebody is at fault. Look -- and I want to know. I want to know exactly what went on and how it went on.

So there you have it. The "blame game" consists of trying to get someone to take responsibility for something, but Homie don't play that because we're too busy moving forward and learning lessons about freedom, which is always moving forward, not backward. And he wants to know more than anyone who was responsible, and as soon as he does find out, they'll be fired...I mean, it it can be proven they committed a crime, they'll be fired. Unless they're not.

Jebus H. Christmas.

Look.

The man simply wants to exchange some long protein strands. If you can think of a better way, I'd like to hear it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Templeton said...

Count!

Today Blogger added the "search all blogs" feature. Otherwise, you and I would never meet!

But we have. And I'm all a-flutter. Just wrote my first lovenote to you over on my blog.

There's a bit of irony in all of this, which I can share if you wish.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Count Screwloose said...

I can't see the name "Miss Templeton" without flashing on James Cagney writing 45 Minutes From Broadway for her in Yankee Doodle Dandy. Any relation?

Thank you so much for the wonderful things you wrote on your blog. I'm so glad you found us and like us! You'll stick around, I hope!

I just read about that new Google engine today, as a matter of fact, but haven't had much of a chance to fool with it yet...

You listed Zoot Suit on your fave movie list! God, I love that one. I didn't think anyone else even remembered it.

Thanks again, Miss T., for the kind words and, by all means, share the irony!

RG

Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:37:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Templeton said...

Hello Count!

Apologies for the delayed response. I will have to investigate this 45 Minutes From Broadway, but I married into the Templeton name. The "Miss" is honorary and lifelong, regardless of any number of husbands or birthday candles, as southern custom provides.

(Here's the irony to share) As you know, your post on Bono and his hat was what drew me here. I had idly searched on "Barry Devlin" because he was the bassist of the Irish band Horslips. He is also a scriptwriter and great fun the two times I've met him in Dublin.

I consider his association with Bono -- which is now extended to working together on a film called The Virgin of Las Vegas -- to be a minor quirk in Barry's resume. But Barry produced the great one's first demo way back when and actually seems able to enjoy his company.

The husband and I were watching "From a Whisper to a Scream" the documentary of Irish rock. When we reach 1983, we are treated to the whole "Band-Aid" phenom again and there's a shot of Sir Bob, Sting, and Bono in the height of their early MTV glory. "Good Lord," I said. "I hope Bananarama and Boy George had their oxygen tanks!"

Others who have worked with Bono read my little blog, so it was a pleasure to post your take on the recent iconic court case for their amusement!

Monday, September 19, 2005 10:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home