Monday, September 19, 2005

One Of These Quotes Is Not Like The Other

You know where else they did it, in a way, was during the Terri Schiavo thing. That's when I thought we had finally lost our minds. All through the Terri Schiavo thing I thought, Well, this is it, this is ... we've really finally snapped. And then they started doing polls, and you found out that 80 percent of the country, including the Bible Belt, thought the government should stay out of our hospital rooms. And then I went, "Oh, we're still here. Our country's still alive."
- George Clooney

You know, that's what this gay marriage thing is all about. But now, you know, the poly-amorphous marriage, whatever they call it, you can marry 18 people, you can marry a duck…
- Bill O’Reilly joins Rick Santorum in valiantly attempting to save America from that slippery slope that will eventually lead to Americans turning zoos into singles bars.

The media is attempting and all the president's critics are attempting to redefine his life according to the way they want it to go for him, and he simply says, "Nope, screw you. I am who I am. I like who I am. I'm comfortable in my skin. I know what I'm doing is right. And I'm going to keep doing it." I think there's a huge lesson for every human being that's paid attention to learn from this.
- Some lesson learnin’ from Rush Limbaugh, boiling compassionate conservatism down into its two component parts, “screw” and “you.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Templeton said...

I'm not often found in front of a television, but last week I did see a retrospective of the events and consequences of Katrina and its aftermath.

One horrifying story I had not originally heard showed a New Orleans hospital attempting to care for its patients, without water, without electricity, without a timeline for rescue. The patients were moved to rooftop and the staff doled out care as best it could with dwindling supplies. One of the nurses said "We ask the patient if they know their name. If they say 'yes' and can say it, we continue to give them treatment. If they don't respond..."

It struck me that here was a situation where human life was at great risk, indeed where stark choices were being made out of a necessity as the days without rescue went by. Surely those who prayed and brayed about the sanctity of life at Terri Shiavo's hospital will rise up in righteous anger at a government that allowed this to happen?

Monday, September 19, 2005 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Count Screwloose said...

I'm sure they will, just as soon as the roads are made passable enough for their limos to get through.

RG

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 10:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home